The Strathcona Regional District (SRD) in conjunction with the Village of Tahsis, Village of Zeballos, Ehattesaht/Chinehkint First Nation, Nuchatlaht First Nation and Ka:’yu:’k’t’h’/Che:k:tles7et’h’ First Nations are asking community members of the areas affected by the recent prolonged power outage to provide their observations on emergency response activities.
Communities Covered by this After-Action Report:
- Walter’s Island / Surrounding Area (Electoral Area A)
This feedback will help make communities more resilient by ensuring that critical lessons and knowledge are captured immediately into a Community Level After Action Report that will be shared publicly when completed.
- Identify future areas for public education initiatives.
- Assess the preparedness of household and grassroots neighbourhood emergency plans prior to emergency events.
- Recruit new leaders and members for local emergency response programs.
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in the local emergency plan.
- Help the SRD advocate to other levels of government beyond its jurisdiction (BC Hydro, Emergency Management BC, Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure and Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development).
Why is it Important?
It is crucial to understand that the ability of communities to implement recommendations is determined by a multitude of factors such as budget, personnel, capacity, and availability of volunteers. With some items, such as the condition of the Forest Service Road, the role of many communities is limited to that of advocacy, but organized information will allow the SRD to communicate the communities’ insights more appropriately.
How you can help?
Please help us by completing the survey below.