Who Are We?
The Strathcona Regional District is a federation of five municipalities and four electoral areas, which covers approximately 22,000 square kilometers (8,517 square miles). The SRD serves and provides 44,671 residents (2016 census) with a diverse range of services including water and sewerage systems, fire protection, land use planning, parks, recreation and emergency response. The Strathcona Regional District was established on February 15, 2008, as a result of the provincial government’s restructure of the Comox Strathcona Regional District.
To provide the citizens with a healthy environment and social well-being that leads to a vibrant quality of life through responsible economic development and effective delivery of services.
In fulfilling our Mission, we are guided at all levels by the Core Values of Teamwork, Respect, Integrity, Effectiveness and Accountability as defined by these principles:
- We work as a committed team in a spirit of collaboration and community.
- We are caring and respectful in all our interactions and relationships.
- We are open and honest. We adhere to the highest standards of ethical conduct.
- We deliver effective public service through professionalism and creativity.
- We are accountable to our constituents and to the region as a whole.
People, fish and wildlife thrive in a healthy environment.
- Residents and businesses are supported by a diverse and resilient economy.
- High quality health and social care is available regionally.
- The region is a world-class tourism destination, leveraging our unique ecological, historical and cultural assets.
- Affordable quality services are delivered in a fiscally responsible way.
- The District is a leader in regional governance, with diverse jurisdictions including First Nations, working together cohesively and collaboratively.
Our Strategic Priorities & Key Work Projects
The Strathcona Regional District has confirmed the following strategic objectives and key work projects to be funded in the 2015-2019 Financial Plan:
- Advocate Connectivity Coverage: to advocate, promote and encourage the extension of data and cellular services throughout the Regional District through direct political outreach, targeted analysis and business case development.
- First Nations Relationship Building: to build strong relationships with regional First Nation communities through a graduated approach that includes internal development and education on First Nations issues, protocols and culture; outreach and engagement informally and formally to build better government-to-government relations; and specific understanding of First Nations issues that affect Regional District business and community interests.
- Community Health Network: to improve the community wellness of the region by addressing the social determinants of health through collaboration among a variety of partners that includes public, private and non-profit organizations.
- BC Ferries: to advocate on behalf of Regional District communities about BC ferries activities, fares and services participant services.
- Senior Government Advocacy: to advance, on political and administrative levels, issues that require advocacy to lessen conflict, improve transparency and increase operational efficiency.
- Electoral Area Administration: to establish a service that supports electoral area directors for Regional District governance, management costs and elections in rural areas.
- Flooding/Sea Level Rise: to maintain awareness of sea level rise as a concern and to continue to advocate to senior levels of government in support of local solutions to identified risks.
- Asset Management: to advance the asset management strategy for implementing and improving regional district asset management practices.
- Records Management: to determine the most cost effective and viable method to implement and operate a corporate records system.
Listed below are Legislative Resources for the Strathcona Regional District: Delegation to Regional Board – Guidelines Delegation to Regional Board – Request External Agency Appointments (2019) Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy – Access to Records Request Still can’t find what you’re looking for? Please use the “search” button on the top right hand corner…Learn More
The Strathcona Regional District has confirmed the following strategic objectives and key work projects to be funded in the 2015-2019 Financial Plan: Connectivity: to develop, advocate and promote the extension of cellular and broadband connectivity across the Regional District. This will be achieved by advancing the Connected Coast Project to provide new backbone broadband infrastructure,supporting…Learn More