Any non-profit community organization, to which the giving of a Grant In Aid (GIA) will benefit the general community.
Grants shall be considered on a year-to-year basis and continuing support should not be anticipated.
The electoral area director responsible for the area, from which the grant-in-aid is being requested, shall review each request and provide direction to the secretary of the regional board as to the
All requests for grants-in-aid must be approved by resolution of the regional district board.
All organizations requesting a grant-in-aid shall receive a letter acknowledging the request and advising of the resolution passed.
• The grant-in-aid is within the current year’s budgeted allocation;
• The grant does not subsidize activities that are the responsibility of senior governments, as this would represent a downloading of senior government costs to local taxpayers;
• Grants should not be made to other local governments, i.e.: municipalities.
• Grants should not be used to augment tax funded functions, i.e.: volunteer fire departments, community halls, etc when the grant request is for a service or item that is included in the establishment bylaw for that specific local service area;
• GIAs must not be provided to an “industrial, commercial or business undertaking”;
• A demonstrated need for the service/project within the community and the financial need of the organization;
The form, application for grant-in-aid, should be completed in full and all community organizations are encouraged to submit the form. In addition, the following information is useful, but is not mandatory:
• Copy of current year-to-date and the immediately preceding year’s financial statements;
• Budget for the year in which the grant is being requested for;
• If available, the most recent annual report.
Forward the application form and supporting documentation to the attention of the appropriate electoral area director at the regional district office.
Grant-in-aid requests are usually considered by the board of directors in February of each year in conjunction with the establishment of the current year’s budget.