COVID-19 UPDATE | SRD Parks, Trails, Playground, Outdoor Equipment
After careful preparation and planning; protocols have been put in place and the Strathcona Regional District (SRD) is reopening select outdoor park facilities in the Region. Although the majority of SRD parks and trails have remained opened, numerous outdoor amenities have been closed since March 23 to help limit the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
The SRD is proud to reopen its playgrounds and outdoor equipment effective the week June 10, 2020. With appropriate signage and protocols in place, the following playgrounds and amenities are deemed opened:
- Blenkin Park Playgrounds and Swings (Electoral Area C)
- Mitlenatch Park Playground (Electoral Area D)
- Hagel Park Playground, Outdoor Fitness Equipment and Picnic Shelter (Electoral Area D)
All SRD parks, playgrounds and trails are now open as in addition to the facilities above, similar amenities that previously experienced closures were reopened in May 2020 including:
- Cortes Island Skatepark (Electoral Area B)
- Blenkin Park Tennis/Basketball Courts & Skatepark (Electoral Area C)
- Hagel Park Tennis/Basketball Courts (Electoral Area D)
Playground and equipment users are requested to help reduce potential risks by following these guidelines and signage posted at all parks:
- Stay home if showing any signs of sickness
- Keep at least 6 feet distance from anyone outside your household
- Wash hands before & after park use
- Self sanitize during use as equipment is not sanitized (i.e. hand sanitizer or disinfectant wipes)
- Avoid touching your face
- Encourage games that allow play at a safe distance
- Limit the sharing of sports equipment, toys or other personal items
- Avoid large groups; if playground gets too crowded, please come back another time
SRD Parks are being routinely inspected and any closures or social distancing violations observed are being addressed. To remain up to date on accurate information, please visit www.srd.ca/COVID-19 or follow the SRD social media channels @StrathconaRegionalDistrict on Facebook and Twitter.
Playgrounds, outdoor park facilities and a stunning selection of marine and lake areas for public use are located throughout the region. Whether it is hiking, swimming or kayaking the recreational opportunities are endless in the Strathcona Regional District.
Get all the information you need on public parks, playgrounds, beaches and forest trails available for public use within the SRD's Electoral Area B. Discover the magic of Cortes Island's spectacular selection of marine, lake and forest parks and trails.
Access information pertaining to the network of trails, parks, playgrounds and beaches all available to residents of the SRD's Electoral Area C. Uncover the natural beauty of the Discovery Islands-Mainland Inlets exceptional recreational activities.
Find information, pictures and maps to Area D Oyster Bay-Buttle Lake's network of public trails, parks, playgrounds and beaches. Discover the treasure trove of community parks and nature reserves in this enchanting west-coast setting.