COVID-19 UPDATE | SRD Parks, Trails, Playground, Outdoor Equipment
After careful preparation and planning; protocols have been put in place and the Strathcona Regional District (SRD) is reopening select outdoor park facilities in the Region. Although the majority of SRD parks and trails have remained opened, numerous outdoor amenities have been closed since March 23 to help limit the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
The SRD is proud to reopen its playgrounds and outdoor equipment effective the week June 10, 2020. With appropriate signage and protocols in place, the following playgrounds and amenities are deemed opened:
- Blenkin Park Playgrounds and Swings (Electoral Area C)
- Mitlenatch Park Playground (Electoral Area D)
- Hagel Park Playground, Outdoor Fitness Equipment and Picnic Shelter (Electoral Area D)
All SRD parks, playgrounds and trails are now open as in addition to the facilities above, similar amenities that previously experienced closures were reopened in May 2020 including:
- Cortes Island Skatepark (Electoral Area B)
- Blenkin Park Tennis/Basketball Courts & Skatepark (Electoral Area C)
- Hagel Park Tennis/Basketball Courts (Electoral Area D)
Playground and equipment users are requested to help reduce potential risks by following these guidelines and signage posted at all parks:
- Stay home if showing any signs of sickness
- Keep at least 6 feet distance from anyone outside your household
- Wash hands before & after park use
- Self sanitize during use as equipment is not sanitized (i.e. hand sanitizer or disinfectant wipes)
- Avoid touching your face
- Encourage games that allow play at a safe distance
- Limit the sharing of sports equipment, toys or other personal items
- Avoid large groups; if playground gets too crowded, please come back another time
SRD Parks are being routinely inspected and any closures or social distancing violations observed are being addressed. To remain up to date on accurate information, please visit www.srd.ca/COVID-19 or follow the SRD social media channels @StrathconaRegionalDistrict on Facebook and Twitter.
About SRD Parks Services
The Strathcona Regional District, in partnership with a number of community groups and individuals, are the proud stewards of a growing system of parks and trails in some of the most spectacular settings imaginable.
The SRD Parks Service manages over 50 parks and hundreds of kilometres of trails to protect the region’s environmental and cultural values, and to provide a diverse range of recreational opportunities. Our region provides the setting for a variety of forested hiking and mountain bike trails of varying degrees of difficult, and includes a number of shorter nature walks that meander through a variety of flora and fauna, both seaside and riverside.
Our parks offer something for everyone, from quiet open green spaces for contemplation to recreational opportunities for high energy output. The SRD caters to both the young and young at heart; we offer playgrounds for the children and outdoor fitness equipment for the adults. Recreational opportunities include sporting fields, an equestrian ring, BMX track and jumps, skate parks, tennis and basketball courts, nature parks, a community garden, as well as wharves and boat launches.
Enjoy your parks and trails and please respect the environment. For bookings, suggestions, or to report an issue, please contact us: email@example.com