Energy Efficiency Upgrade is Underway at Strathcona Gardens
Two ice surfaces and mechanical & electrical building components are currently in the process of a complete upgrade. The new CO2 refrigeration plants, high efficiency boilers, domestic hot water tanks , air handling units and associated electrical work are part of the 4.6 million Energy Efficiency Upgrade Project (EEUP) funded through the Federal Gas Tax Fund.
With today’s concern for the environment, energy efficiency and safety, CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) is now recognized as a much superior option over other synthetic refrigerants for these purposes. CO2 is a natural, non-toxic, non-flammable with low global warming potential and zero ozone deplete potential. The switch out from an ammonia-based refrigeration system to a CO2 made the Strathcona Gardens Recreation Complex the first facility in the province to make this conversion.
• Installations of the new CO2 refrigeration plants for Rod Brind’Amour arena and arena #2 are completed.
Energy Recovery Loop:
• Mechanical and electrical installation of high efficiency boilers, domestic hot water tanks and other equipment part of the Energy Recovery Loop completed.
• Procurement of Air Handling Units and Controls in Progress.
• C02 plants handover to Strathcona Regional District: December 2019
• Construction to supply and install Air Handling Units and Controls: Summer 2020
- All stages of the project are scheduled to be completed in fall 2020.
Arena 2 and Leisure Pad