Close Alerts

Animal Control and Licensing

The SRD encourages responsible dog ownership throughout the regional district. Currently, animal control services are provided within Electoral Area D. The Animal Control Bylaw regulates services available including dog licensing, enforcement, and shelter services.

Dog Licensing

Dogs living in Electoral Area D, over 6 months of age, must be licensed. Licensing is required to be renewed on an annual basis.

Licensing is handled by City of Campbell River located at City Hall, 301 St. Ann’s Road (Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Closed on Statutory Holidays). Renewal licenses may be purchased using a credit card by visiting  Online Services. You will need the access code located on your reminder letter. The dog tag will be mailed to you. If you require assistance with an access code, please call the Finance Department at 250-286-5700 or you may pay by cash, cheque, or debit card at the City Hall.

 Complaints and Emergencies

Coastal Animal Control Services is contracted to the SRD to administer and enforce the regulations of the Animal Control Bylaw. All other animal control-related issues and/or concerns are to contact their nearest RCMP or SPCA.

Inquires, concerns, and complaints regarding animals within electoral area D should be directed to Coastal Animal Control Services.

Common issues include:

  • Dogs running at large
  • Unleashed dogs
  • Impounded dogs
  • Vicious or dangerous dogs

To report a violation of the Electoral Area D Animal Control Bylaw during regular business hours (Monday – Friday 9am-5pm), please call 1-888-754-1397.

For emergency after hours, please call: 250-895-1323. This number is for emergencies only. An emergency would be an injured cat or dog that has been hit by a car and requires immediate emergency veterinary care or an aggressive dog which is at large and threatening public safety. To report a dog attack in progress after regular business hours, please call your local police department.

If you wish to make a complaint regarding animal noise or operation of a kennel, please go to the Bylaw Compliance tab and follow directions to submit a complaint form.

The BCSPCA can be reached at 1-855-622-7722 for animals in distress or cruelty concerns. Animal Control does not respond to nuisance wildlife calls or wildlife that has taken up residence inside of homes. These calls should be directed to your local humane wildlife control services. 

For information related to incidents and active investigations, please contact SRD Bylaw Compliance Department at 250-830-6725 or


The Pound is located at 490 Merecroft Road, Campbell River and is operated by Coastal Animal Control Services. You may arrange for access to the Pound by calling Coastal Animal Control Services: 1-888-754-1397

Related Links

  • BC SPCA or 250-287-7766 or cruelty hotline at 1-855-622-7722
  • Conservation Report Line (Wildlife issues) 1-877-952-7277 (RAPP)
  • Marine Mammals & Sea Turtles (Sick Injured Distresses, deceased) 1-800-465-4336
  • BC Pet Registry (Microchips) 1-855-622-7722
  • Main Road (road kill pick up) 1-877-215-7122
  • College of Veterinarians of BC