The Strathcona Regional District (SRD) is closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation and reviewing its essential services and decision-making processes to ensure business continuity during the COVID-19 pandemic. As an essential service provider, the SRD must continue to operate and maintain service delivery that is crucial to the well-being of residents.
Significant effort has been put into planning and preparedness and the SRD is taking this situation very seriously, doing everything possible to respond to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic in a safe, measured and concerted manner.
The following is an update to Electoral Area A & B Waste Services:
- Electoral Area A: SRD waste services continue as usual; however we are encouraging limiting your trips to the landfill. Zeballos landfill isn’t collecting cash but keeping a tab for residents bringing garbage to the facility. Updates to the Sayward cleanup day event will be posted once a decision is made by the Comox Starthcona Waste Management (CSWM).
- Electoral Area B: Curbside garbage pick up is continuing as usual. The recycling building and Free Store are closed until further notice, curbside recycling is cancelled and residents are asked to bring household garbage only to the centre at this time.
For inquiries related to engineering services, please call 250.830.6700 or toll free at 1.877.830.2990.
SRD Waste Services in Sayward Valley & Cortes Island
Within the Sayward Valley, once a week roadside waste pick-up is available, and on Cortes Island, weekly roadside pick up for both waste and recycling is available.
Sayward Solid Waste Clean-Up
Clean-Up Days in Sayward is an event that happens three times a year. Household waste items that are too large for regular waste collection can be discarded on these scheduled days.
Items accepted for drop off include:
- Both large and small household appliances
- Used tires
- Used batteries, including auto and marine
Items not accepted include:
- Drywall and hazardous household waste (HHW) marked as flammable, corrosive, poisonous or containing compressed gas such as aerosols, butane lighters and propane tanks. These items
should be taken to the Campbell River Waste Management Centre at 67 Argonaut Road, Campbell River, BC. the centre is open from 9:30 a.m. to 5:50 p.m., Sunday to Tuesday.
- Items deemed as “product care”, such as paint, pesticides, flammable liquids and all electronics. These items should be taken to the nearest Return-It Depot.
For questions and additional information on our waste services, schedules or what is eligible for roadside waste or recycling pick up, please contact 250-830-6719.