SRD Waste Services
Area A – Sayward Valley
- Within the Sayward Valley, once a week roadside waste pick-up is available.
- Sayward Solid Waste Clean-Up Days – Clean-Up Days in Sayward is an event that happens three times a year. Household waste items that are too large for regular waste collection can be discarded on the scheduled days. Upcoming Clean-Up Days is happening October 16 & 17, 2021 from 9am to 4pm. More information > .
Area B – Cortes Island
- Within Cortes Island, weekly roadside pick up for both waste and recycling is available.
Area C – Quadra Island
- Solid Waste collection is not a service provided by the SRD. Residents must arrange pickup with private contractors (talk to your neighbours). The SRD cannot recommend any particular contractor.
Area D – Oyster Bay/Buttle Lake
- Curbside garbage, recycling and yard waste pick-up are not a service provided by the Strathcona Regional District.
Rural area residents are responsible for setting up their own curbside pick-up through private providers, or taking their garbage and recyclables to a Comox Strathcona Waste Management facility.
NEWS | Updated Dec 20/21
Temporary Change to Some Acceptable Materials at Recycle BC Depots
Starting Monday, December 20, collection of glass bottles and jars will resume province wide. Residents will be able to set out glass in curbside and multi-family bins for collection, if applicable, or bring to a depot.
Foam collection across BC remains suspended due to challenges with capacity at receiving facilities and we are working to clear space and will lift this final suspension as soon as possible.
We ask for your patience as we work towards resuming full collection of all materials during these unprecedented times.
NEWS | Regional Organics Compost Project Breaks Ground in Campbell River
The CSWM regional organics compost project has broken ground paving the way for curbside organics collection of over 30,000 single-family homes in Campbell River, Comox, Cumberland and Courtenay.
The compost facility, located in Campbell River, is scheduled for completion in September 2022 and will accept co-mingled food and yard waste as part of municipal curbside collection programs. Community updates around the timing of this rollout will be made available later in 2022.
TIPS & RESOURCES
- VIDEO > How to set up a successful home recycling system
- Comox Strathcona Waste Management:
- CSWM website > https://www.cswm.ca/
- CSWM Facebook page > https://www.facebook.com/ComoxStrathconaWasteManagement