Water Conservation Education Team
The water conservation education team will be present throughout Northern Area D over the summer. Contact them to answer your questions relating to water-wise use.
The team can provide resources to assist you with any of the following:
- Details of Bylaw 324
- Water-wise recommendations
- DIY soil testing
- Applying for water meters
- List of local IIABC certified irrigation personnel
- Other questions you may have
Hiring an Irrigation Designer, Installer or Scheduler
The Irrigation Industry Association of BC (IIABC) lists certified irrigation designers, installers and schedulers on their website – https://www.irrigationbc.com/irrigation/members/search. See sample list overleaf.
To do the search yourself, click on the link above, then in the drop down boxes select:
- All types
- Vancouver Island/Coast
- All Classifications
To hire a contractor or for getting advice on irrigation scheduling, here are some recommendations from the Irrigation Industry Association of BC (IIABC). The last four points are most relevant when considering a new irrigation timer. https://www.irrigationbc.com/page/selecting-a-contractor
These questions should be asked before a contractor submits a proposal on your landscaping in order to protect yourself and your investment:
- Do you have a business license and will you show it to me?
- How many years has this specific company name been in business and can you supply reliable references?
- Does your company carry liability insurance and if so, to what extent?
- What type of cross connection control or backflow prevention is required by our municipality? Does your company have a certified cross-connection (backflow) expert on staff?
- Is your company a member of the Irrigation Industry Association of B.C.? (You can search for Certified Professionals on the IIABC’s website to verify this.)
- If I select your design, are you able to stamp your design with an approved IIABC Certified Irrigation Designer stamp or have an approved designer certify it?
- What types of products will you use and why?
- Is the contractor able to provide irrigation scheduling information using Farmwest and /or the IIABC scheduling calculator?
- Has the contractor provided a schedule to match peak conditions and provided information on how to adjust the schedule?
- Will the irrigation system be able to provide sufficient water to the plants within the local government watering restrictions