Neighbourhood Wildfire Risk Reduction
Free Wildfire Threat Assessment for SRD Neighbourhoods
Protect your home from wildfire by working with your neighbours to protect theirs.
- Wildfire ignition zones may overlap between neighbouring properties.
- By working with your neighbours you can help reduce the risk for everyone.
- The Strathcona Regional District is taking joint applications from neighbourhoods (minimum 3 households) to get a free Neighbourhood Wildfire Threat Assessment and an individual FireSmart Property Assessment from a certified FireSmart Professional.
What is in it for you? Each household will receive:
- A free Neighbourhood Wildfire Threat Assessment report to help understand the risk and how to reduce them.
- Their own FireSmart Property Assessment with actions you can take to reduce wildfire risk to your property.
Note: Not all properties in a neighbourhood need to participate to have this done. Minimum number of households to qualify is 3 and maximum is 15.
It’s as simple as…
- Picking a day where residents in the neighbourhood get together and meet with the FireSmart Professional.
- Takes about 2-6 hours outdoors. (The FireSmart Professional does not need to go inside any homes).
- COVID protocols must be in place.
- Must take place before December 10th, 2022.
- Providing the details of your neighbourhood boundary and a list of the addresses interested in participating.
- Choosing a neighbourhood representative to take care of booking a time and date for the outdoor get together with the FireSmart professional.
What happens at the outdoor neighbourhood meeting?
During this day a FireSmart representative will do a Neighbourhood Wildfire Assessment and a FireSmart Property Assessment for every property who participates.
The Neighbourhood Wildfire Assessment and FireSmart Property Assessment belong to the homeowner and not the Strathcona Regional District.
These reports are meant for your information, to help you understand how to better protect your property and neighbourhood from wildfire. You are not required to make any of the changes.
Interested in Applying?
Interested neighbourhoods can apply by completing the survey below OR by sending the above information to SRD Protective Services Coordinator Shaun Koopman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submission deadline is Friday May 27, 2022 at 4:00pm.
Please contact SRD Protective Services Coordinator Shaun Koopman at email@example.com or 250-830-6702