The Strathcona Regional District (SRD) wishes to engage the Outer Discovery Islands community members based on the results of the Outer Discovery Islands Wildland Firefighting Brigade Feasibility Study.
The Feasibility Study report outlines the findings of an in-depth review of the issues and opportunities related to fire safety in the Outer Discovery Islands and makes recommendations for actions that, if implemented, will enable the Outer Discovery Islands to respond in an organized and effective way to fires. The geography of the region, including the terrain, marine conditions, dispersed population, absence of infrastructure, and the way in which development has occurred would potentially require a unique and unconventional method of providing fire services in this area, so full community collaboration and input going forward is extremely valuable.
The report also includes recommendations to the SRD based on the feedback received during community meetings hosted in the Outer Discovery Islands back in June 2022. The primary recommendations are:
- That a fire brigade that operates at a Wildland Firefighting Service level, similar to the BC Wildfire Service, is an achievable and sustainable service level for the area.
- That members of the wildland brigade would be recognized as either volunteers or employees of the SRD to ensure that wildland brigade members are covered by the SRD’s indemnity bylaw on the same basis as other volunteer firefighters.
This potential service would be funded through tax requisition from the area and be supplemented with grant funding whenever possible. Due to factors such as the expected time commitment of brigade members, the increase in taxes to establish the service and increased administrative requirements of the SRD to operate this service, it is important we hear the voice of every community member in the area on the matter of whether or not they agree or disagree with the SRD moving forward with the Feasibility Study’s recommendations.
Outer Discovery Islands community members can submit their feedback by:
- An Online Survey – srd.ca/surge-narrows-wildfire-brigade
- Phone – 250-830-6702
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail – Letters have been mailed to community members this week. Please mail the survey back using the prepaid postage envelope included to the SRD Corporate Office at 990 Cedar St. Campbell River BC V9W 7Z8
All feedback must be submitted by 4:00 pm on Friday December 2nd, 2022. For more information about the Outer Discovery Islands Wildland Firefighting Brigade Feasibility Study and to view frequently asked questions, please visit www.srd.ca/surge-narrows-wildfire-brigade
Media Contact: Shaun Koopman – SRD Protective Services Coordinator 250-830-6702 | email@example.com