Campbell River, BC – The Strathcona Regional District (SRD) has approved its four-year strategic plan. In 2020-2024, the SRD will focus on building better connections; in our communities, with our environment, through service delivery and in our internal and external relationships.
In building the 2020-2024 plan, individual Director’s views and varying community priorities and needs were brought forward, previous strategic priorities were reviewed as well as comments gathered from public meetings. Rather than setting many goals and achieving mediocrity, the Board deliberately chose to strive for excellence by focusing on core goals consisting of a set of 4 high-level strategic priorities:
- Improve broadband and cellular infrastructure as well as digital initiatives that enable our communities to access the benefits of being more connected to each other and the world.
- Identify and support transportation initiatives that safely move people, goods and services between our communities and beyond.
- Support initiatives that develop robust and diverse economic conditions for our communities with income-generating opportunities for our residents.
- Identify and support initiatives that improve health and well-being in our communities.
- Support housing diversity so that our residents, young and old, can grow and stay in our communities.
- Value and respect the region’s diverse service needs and have regard for our impact on each other’s fiscal capacity.
- Build sound and efficient systems to protect the region’s assets and records and sustain service levels in a fiscally responsible way.
- Support and advocate for waste management initiatives that are both fiscally and environmentally responsible.
- Support adaptation and mitigation of climate change through local and sub-regional initiatives.
- Improve our understanding and ability to respond to flooding (sea level rise and storm surge) and wildfire.
- Prioritize good governance that recognizes the diversity of our region and focuses on areas of common interests.
- Continue to build relationships with First Nations communities within the region and explore areas of shared focus and opportunity.
- Utilize our collective voice to advocate for issues of importance to our region.
- Find ways to better lend our support to individual community needs.
- Develop a proactive approach to engaging with our communities and communicating our decisions to the public.
“I believe that the SRD’s new set of strategic priorities are not only relevant to all Directors, but they also reflect the collective needs of our constituents,” says Strathcona Regional District Chair Michele Babchuk. “The development of this new strategic plan ensures that the Board’s strategic priorities continue to meet the community’s expectations and sets a clear pathway for the Regional District to deliver these priorities on behalf of the Board and our communities. “
For more information about the Regional District’s strategic planning process, its vision and values or to view the strategic plan in its entirety, please visit www.srd.ca/strategic-priorities.
The Strathcona Regional District is a partnership of four electoral areas and five municipalities providing services to approximately 44,000 residents.
Elaine Popove, Communications Coordinator
Strathcona Regional District
250-830-6724 | email@example.com