What is an Integrated Community Sustainability Plan?
An Integrated Community Sustainability Plan (ICSP) is a long-term plan developed in consultation with community members to identify a shared vision for sustainability. It will plan for the present needs of Electoral Area C while ensuring that the needs of future generations are not compromised.
To achieve responsible growth, the SRD requires a roadmap for guiding development in a sustainable manner and assuring that Electoral Area C becomes a more resilient, sustainable, and cohesive community.
What are the Next Steps?
The SRD, in partnership with Dillon Consulting Limited, has been working on the ICSP based on the community engagement completed in 2020. The Team has created a draft vision and identified the core values.
The next step in this process is to go back out to the Community with a workbook created for residents, stakeholders and landowners to complete and provide input about the core values identified and the vision drafted. The workbook is provided on-line (see below) and also available in hard copy.
The Core Values identified were:
- Local Autonomy – we are self-sufficient and independent
- Environmental Stewardship – we promote responsible stewardship of the natural environment
- Community – we respect and honour our diversity, support a strong local economy and protect our sense of community
- Rural Lifestyle – we have food security and support agriculture
- Housing Affordability – we support affordable appropriate housing
- Freedom of Expression – we protect our ability to speak and provide opinions
- Balance – we promote a balanced approach to decision-making
- Alternative Energy – we support alternative energy use
- Growth Management – we support suitable, low intensity rural development
- Respect for First Nations – we respect traditional lands
The Draft Vision created from the community input is:
We are a diverse and beautiful region made up of distinct independent communities that are unique and self-sufficient. We strive to meet the current and future needs of our residents, while celebrating and protecting the natural environment that surrounds us. We are committed to the resiliency of our communities as we navigate social, economic and climate pressures.
The Purpose of the Workbook is to:
- Provide the draft direction for the Vision and Core Values of the ICSP for comment
- Identify key Sustainability Priorities
- Gather additional comments and ideas for the ICSP
Your input is key to the success of this plan!
If you would prefer a hard copy of the workbook mailed to you, please reach out to the SRD Planning Department for further details at 250-830-6718 or email@example.com
Submissions are accepted until April 16, 2021.
Questions or Suggestions?
Please contact, Patricia Maloney – Dillon Consulting
PMaloney@dillon.ca | 1-877-891-0687